- 1 ½ cups of pancake mix
- 1 ½ cup of multipurpose mix
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1 cup of butter or shortening room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar *
- 1 tsp water
- In a bowl cream together, the “ butter, “sugar, vanilla extract and water.
- Sift the pancake mix, multipurpose mix, baking powder, xantham gum into a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cream mixture until all the flour has been absorbed; it may look like a chunky mess.
- Let it rest, about 5 minutes then test a small amount in your hand to see if it is pliable enough to work without crumbling.
- If using shorting, I noticed I had to add 1 more teaspoon of water to the mix and let rest again. Then test, and add more water if needed.
- Then take the dough out of the bowl I use half at a time because it is easier to work with. Use extra flour on the rolling pin and surface. I rolled them out to approx ¼ inch.
- Then cut out into shapes. I had to use a spatula to move them to the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the refrigerator for approx ten to 15 minutes until cool to the touch.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
*If you make this recipe with butter and cut the sugar by half, it tastes just like a shortbread cookie!